R-Mode Baltic 2 works on a reliable and globally accepted backup system for coastal navigation. The first R-Mode Baltic project set up a test bed for a terrestrial positioning system called ranging mode (R-Mode) in the Baltic Sea. This new system allows positioning even in times when the global navigation satellite systems fail and provides position, navigation and timing information that is crucial for safe navigation and new maritime applications. R-Mode Baltic 2 launches a long-term evaluation of the test bed and to this end equips ships with R-Mode ready receivers and maritime applications from the R-Mode Baltic project.
April 2021- December 2021
co-financed by European Union through European Regional Development Fund within the Interreg Baltic Sea Region Programme
DLR e. V.
– Federal Waterways and Shipping Administration
– Federal Maritime and Hydrographic Agency
– navXperience GmbH
– Swedish Maritime Administration
– RISE Research Institutes of Sweden AB
– Gutec AB
– Saab AB (publ) TransponderTech
– Maritime Office in Gdynia
– National Institute of Telecommunications
– NavSim Poland Ltd.
– Kongsberg Seatex AS